Inception

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Angbasdil
The man, the myth, the monkey.

Inception

Post by Angbasdil »

This smart, imaginative and clever thriller is like "The Matrix" meets "The Sting." The less you know about this film going in the more you'll enjoy it, so I won't say anything else except "Go see it!"

And if anyone who has seen it wants to discuss it please use spoiler tags liberally.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have not seen it, but my son says I must.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Not sure if what I want to say are spoilers or not... I recommend the film, but I guess don't read below if you are concerned :).

***Possible spoilers below***

I don't want to discuss the actual debate about the ending, as you can go many other places to see the heated arguments for various resolutions people want to have watched.

But what bugs me, is that it was purposefully ambiguous... I mean, that was the point... which is kind of a commentary on fiction in general... rather than actually having anything to do with this film specifically... which is a bit lazy IMHO. To gain notoriety (and increase ticket sales no doubt)... by NOT resolving the question the movie was building on the entire time is not impressive, although it is entertaining.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Amazing stuff. Nolan is making a strong case for himself being one of our best directors.

***Possible spoilers answers in response to hal's possible spoilers question below***

In a movie that is so much about not being able to tell reality from dream, not resolving the question of whether or not is real extremely meaningful! I'd say that to answer the question would defeat the movie's central own premise. Or at least that to not answer it strengthens it.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I just saw it and I highly recommend it.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

My son is keen to see it. Any problems for a 12 year old?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Standards vary but by mine, I'd say it's fine for a 12 year old. Lot's of "action" violence, with various fights and shoot outs, but not graphic or disturbing or gory. No sex or nudity that I can recall. And I think a nerdish 12 year old boy would be at just the right age to get blown away by the crazy dream plot. :)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Thank you yov :)

Also :hug: . Haven't hugged you since Disney.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Indeed! :D :hug:
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

I just came home from the cinema. What a great film! I might even go and see it again, if I find the time.

Yes, and the ending was just...

;)
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Nice post there Lhaewin, I think I will see it again too.

About the ending
Spoiler Space

I was on the fence for a while but thinking about what Yov has said. I agree with his post.

End spoiler