Up In The Air

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
halplm
hooked

Up In The Air

Post by halplm »

Anyone else seen this?

I didn't really know what to think going into it, but left it thinking I had just seen some very very good acting.

I'm still not sure quite what I think of the story, although it is certainly interesting.

If there was an Oscar for "Best scene" then the one with J. K. Simmons would certainly be in the running.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

I've wanted to see it but, no one I know has went yet, so I have no RL reviews. I have heard it was really good, via the critics
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

It's been getting really good reviews. George Clooney is one of those guys who's always fun to watch.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Clooney has that combination of Hollywood leading-man good looks, fine acting chops, and brains that not more than one man in three can boast. I'm certainly planning to see this one.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Yeah, it's definitely on my "rent it when it comes out on DVD" list.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

Clooney was definitely the reason I can put this one in the "I really liked it" column.
For the TROUBLED may you find PEACE
For the DESPAIRING may you find HOPE
For the LONELY may you find LOVE
For the SKEPTICAL may you find FAITH
-Frances C. Arrillaga 1941-1995
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

After 500 Days and Up, my fav movie of '09 I saw.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

This was a pretty good movie. It is certainly not ordinary Hollywood fare, which is enough to make it noteworthy all by itself. It is about a man (Clooney) whose job is to travel the nation firing people for companies who don't want to do it themselves. He spends 300 days a year traveling, and makes personal isolation into a deliberate way of life. As the story progresses, we see how that philosophy holds up under a variety of circumstances.

***Vaguely spoilerish statements follow.

Like Burn After Reading, another recent movie with Clooney in it, the film leaves you feeling vaguely unfulfilled once the credits start rolling. I think this is because it doesn't conform to the standard movie story structure and because it lacks resolution. By the end, thanks to their connections, many of the characters have managed to get on with their lives despite being laid off or dumped. It is Clooney and his now-unwilling isolation who are literally left up in the air.

Point of interest: although some of the people who get fired onscreen were trained actors, many of them were ordinary people off the street who responded to an advertisement for laid-off workers wanting to take part in a documentary. They wrote their own lines based on what they'd said (or wished they'd said) when they were fired. Same goes for the statements at the end when they describe how they got on with their lives.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Which is better, Up in the Air, or Up?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Up is well worth seeing. I've seen it twice and very much enjoyed it.

However, I've been told by my son (who loved Up) that I have to see Up in the Air.

Now, he fully understands my entirely natural reluctance to subject myself to a film with George Clooney

sighhhhh

in it, and yet he insists. So, because I am his mother, I fully intend to make the sacrifice.

It's the least I can do.

Really.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Saw it last night...

Don't wait for the DVD if you can see it sooner. :thumbsup:

Really powerful film, and one that, like Dave said, doesn't conform to what you expect, certainly in terms of storyline. It was funny and touching and thought-provoking, and you may well come away with a little lump in the throat.

It also made me feel like I'd been on a whistle-stop tour of the States after following Mr Clooney to around 20 US airports. and seeing the aerial shots of many US cities.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

N.E. Brigand wrote:Which is better, Up in the Air, or Up?
Up is more fun and touching. Up in the Air is more challenging and profound.
Lhaewin

Post by Lhaewin »

Saw Up in the Air tonight together with truehobbit. We both enjoyed the film and we can both live with the missing resolution.

One incidence can put your whole life philosophy into question. The backback metaphor was definitely something to think about.

I haven't seen a lot of movies with George Clooney so far and I thought that he was very convincing.
How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it.