Alice In Wonderland 2010-Tim Burton-Johnny Depp

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That's a good point, I think, Wampus. I'd guess it was their concern with making the story modern and making Alice adult that (apparently) spoiled it. 3D itself isn't necessarily bad, if they can avoid the old Saturday Night Live "3D House of Pancakes" effect with someone jabbing a plate of pancakes at the camera.

I thought Avatar did a good job of using 3D to enhance parts of the story without ever making it the point of the story, or essential to the action. It just provided some additional visual delight (which helped, as the story wasn't deep).

I was afraid it would be exhausting, and in some of the trailers for upcoming 3D films I've seen, I suspect that it would be (if I saw them). Clash of the Titans, for example, probably the first film with Liam Neeson in it that I feel no urge at all to see.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Caught the film last week and rather enjoyed it for what it was. I have a fondness for eye candy and set design and visual things that are just plain different and interesting. So this movie appealed to me greatly as it is a feast for eyes. I especially loved the castle which was actually different which must be hard to do at this point after seeing hundreds of fantasy castles over the years.

If you went for a good storyline or character development or anything dramatic - forget about it. The whole thing was extremely predictable and seemed a convenient excuse for Tim Burton to create a cool new universe and have fun playing in it. As stated, that does not bother me at all, but I can understand how it bothers many other folks who actually expect a good movie to tell a good story and reach out and grab the viewer.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers