Jazz?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

I've spent most of my not-so-short life declaring that, like the threads founder, I don't like jazz.

Then I hear a piece of music that is undoubtedly classifiable as such, and I like it very much. I had made so many exceptions that I had to stop saying "I don't like jazz."

But then the afficionados ask "What jazz do you like", thinking we'll have a common turf for discussion. We don't, really. I can't put the stuff I like into a category. It might not have a category that's been named or even should be named.

baby tuckoo jazz does not include Ornette or Dizzy or Bird, and yes, I've heard my share of all three. I have enough dischordancy left in my life without conjuring it by choice.

bt jazz does not include extended, partially/mostly improvized piano noodling. Sorry, Chick. Sorry, Kieth. Glad you can use all ten fingers, guys.

bt jazz can include odd time and minor chord pieces, especially those that drift from odd to straight within the song.

bt jazz includes many singers who can hold a jazz melody while the band plays not one bit of it, but riffs off it.

bt jazz bows to the song, not to the artist's sense of turmoil.

I include a song such as "If Music Could Talk", by the Clash. (It's on Sandinista.) Tell me that's not jazz. It is.

I include "Almost Blue", by Elvis Costello.

Anything by Pink Martini.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Ohhh, I just found my way back to this thread (that’s what I get for not checking my email for more than a week :oops:) Thanks for the links Cem. Love the songs.

You know, I just remembered that I have a cd that has Edgar Meyer on it called Skip, Hop and Wobble with Jerry Douglas and Russ Barenberg. It’s another collection genre bending bluegrass/jazz/classical numbers. Good stuff.

Right now I really wish I hadn’t spent all of my money in SF. I found a couple of album’s on iTunes I really want of Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O’Conner doing traditional Appalachian mountain music. How cool is that?

baby tuckoo, you could just do like I do and tell people your favorite kind of jazz is bluegrass. It doesn’t even matter if you don’t like bluegrass since most people will have no idea what you’re talking about anyway!

:cheers:
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

tinwë wrote: Thanks for the links Cem. Love the songs.
You want me to send you more? :D
I found a couple of album’s on iTunes I really want of Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer and Mark O’Conner doing traditional Appalachian mountain music. How cool is that?
That is so drool-worthy! I'm not a huge Ma fan, but I do love the cello!!

So I am branching out tonight. Ever heard of Eva Cassidy? How I missed this person is beyond me!! My friend linked me to a couple of songs he posted on his LiveJournal. I may post the links here if he gives me permission. :)

Anyway, she had this incredible lusty, jazz voice. I love it... and the songs she chose to sing are pretty spectacular too.

In love tonight. :)
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

tinwë, I love Appalachian Spring and Appalachian Stomp by the aforementioned. Edgar Meyer will be playing next weekend at the Herbst Theater (you probably drove right past it on Van Ness in SF, next to the Civic Center) in a show called "Bach to Bluegrass" along with mandolin and fiddle. The newspaper ad for the show declares "Plus Very Special Guest", which could be either Yo Yo or Bobby McFerrin, who both live in the neighborhood.

Yes, several Eva Cassidy dot my collection. Wonderful she was.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Baby bird, you got me curious, because the albums I was looking at are called Appalachian Journey and Appalachian Waltz. So I googled your titles and found an Appalachian Spring that is a ballet score written by Aaron Copeland in 1944 ;). And an Appalachian Stomp that is an album I could really go for - classics by Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs, the Stanley Brothers, the Seldom Scene, Tony Rice. Now that’s my kinda music!

And stop making me regret leaving SF even more than I already do. I would love to see that concert. Surprisingly enough, California actually has a thriving bluegrass scene, with some of the top artists coming from there - David Grisman, Chris Thile, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, and of course, the late Jerry Garcia, all of whom went far beyond bluegrass in their careers. :)

Cem, yes yes yes, I want more! And I wouldn’t mind checking out Eva Cassidy either, although I haven’t heard of her before. Always up for something new!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

tinwë wrote:Cem, yes yes yes, I want more!
:rofl:

I can never get enough of that phrase! ;)

More emails on their way then, dear.

Here are some links to Eva Cassidy mp3s. I have so fallen for her voice:

Alternative links forthcoming. See Shirriff note a few posts below. Jn

http://www.synuk.com/eva/

Ok - eta: That's a link to a site where you can here clips from the MP3's that cem had posted.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I am. :)
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

The mandolin player along with Edgar Meyer will be Mike Marshall. Misha and I debated very seriously whether or not to attend, but it is a Sunday night in San Fran, not in Sac. Damn, damn, damn.

Listen to Eva C drift into that first high note on "Autumn Leaves". They drift though my window. The autumn leaves. Of red and gold.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And I did.

WOW.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

BT, I saw Marshall with Chris Thile about a year ago. Mandolin duet. Nothing else, just two mandolins. If I knew how to do this uploading stuff I could give you a Bach number they did that was absolutely incredible.

If you ever get the chance to see Thile, in any form, be it with his band Nickel Creek or solo or with Marshall or anyone else, then by all means go. That kid has to be one of the most amazing musicians alive today, whatever genre he’s playing.

Cem those songs are stunningly beautiful. Thank you!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

tinwë wrote:If I knew how to do this uploading stuff I could give you a Bach number they did that was absolutely incredible.
If you email it to me I can upload it for you! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! :D
If you ever get the chance to see Thile, in any form, be it with his band Nickel Creek or solo or with Marshall or anyone else, then by all means go
A friend just broke the news to me last week that Nickel Creek is splitting up. :( I had just become a fan and they are ready to move on...

More Eva C covers:

Alternative links forthcoming. Hang on folks. See Shirriff
note a few posts below. Jn

http://www.synuk.com/eva/

Ok - eta: That's a link to a site where you can here clips from the MP3's that cem had posted.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Chris Thile is the shiznet. And he just came out with a new CD.

Eva Cassidy is equally the shiznet!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

:wave: Heeeey, Jonny! :D
Jonny wrote:Chris Thile is the shiznet. And he just came out with a new CD.

Do you have that cd yet? :whistle:

You know my email addy! ;) :P
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

cemthinae wrote:
tinwë wrote:If I knew how to do this uploading stuff I could give you a Bach number they did that was absolutely incredible.
If you email it to me I can upload it for you! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! :D
I thought I sent you that one already. :oops:. Will rectify when I get home tonight.
cemthinae wrote:A friend just broke the news to me last week that Nickel Creek is splitting up. :( I had just become a fan and they are ready to move on...
From their website:
Dearest Listener,

After seven years of extensive touring in support of three records (seventeen years as a band), we've decided to take a break of indefinite length at the end of 2007 to preserve the environment we've sought so hard to create and to pursue other interests. It has been a pleasure to write, record, and perform for you through the years and we'd like to heartily thank you for your invaluable contribution to our musical lives.

Yours,

Nickel Creek
(Sean, Sara, and Chris)
Hmm... a lot could happen between now and the end of ‘07.

Jonny, thanks for the heads up on the new CD. I’ll have to check it out.

Oh drat, one more thing I can’t afford to buy. :x
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

tinwë wrote:I thought I sent you that one already. :oops:. Will rectify when I get home tonight.
Ooooh. Maybe you did! :P

Tell me the title & I'll shuffle through my mp3s to see if I already have it!
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

J.S. Bach: The Goldberg Variations.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Nope. I just checked and I don't have it.

So if you don't mind emailing it to me sometime I'll be sure to get it posted here. :)
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Hi Cemmy!!

To expound on "Chris Thile is the shiznet," lol, he is actually my favorite musician, bar none. He's a prodigy with the mandolin and his voice is to die for. It has such a sad quality to it and so when he sings songs such as House Carpenter, he truly is in his amazing element. But I love how he has sort of moved past his bluegrass roots (sort of) in some of his solo stuff. But I do so love when he sings folk. :)
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Shirriff Note Continued:

Cem, I thought we had a stream version of Eva Cassidy at our fingertips, but we're not really sure what we've got just yet. I need to take down your links while we figure out how this music can be shared legally. (The links are saved in the Naith so I can put them back up again if we determine it's alright.) I'm sorry for this inconvenience. We'll also let everyone know how to do this legally in the future, too, as soon as we figure it out ourselves!

Jn

eta: Oh rats, I'm stupid. I just inadvertently erased the message I had put up here before. The links to a stored file that can be downloaded are a breach of copyright law. I've got to remove them while we figure out what the legal alternative is.

edited to add by VtF: The links are a breach of copyright law unless they are posted with the permission of the artist or whoever holds the copyright. If that is the case, we will of course restore the links.

edited because I misspelled 'stupid,' thus proving it.
Last edited by Jnyusa on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

tinwë, thanks for the thought but I've never up- or down-loaded any music either and haven't a clue how it's done. We'll just have to give CD recommendations by name.

Yes, Nickle Creek appears to have cashed in its quarters, and the final message adopts the usual veiled verbiage regarding exactly why.

Fortunately, they came through this part of the woods several times, including quite recently.

I don't know why I mention this on a Jazz thread: John Prine will be in town next month. I hope his voice survived the cancer.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Friends, I've replaced the Eva Cassidy links that cem had posted with a link to a site where samples of the music can be heard.

We've not been able to find a site where the Flecktones' music can be sampled legally. cem, if you are able to find a stream version or a clip of the Fleck/Meyers duet, please send me the link and we'll put it up in the thread or tell you to go ahead and do it.

I'm sorry to interfere with everyone's listening pleasure - this is a super thread - but I do have to remind our members that we can be cancelled by our server if our members post MP3's here in a way that allows them to be downloaded by others. This is not "fair use" under copyright. Technically, we are not supposed to host any arrangements by our members to swap MP3's in private either. It's none of my business what all of you do off the board, but I have to be careful what gets discussed here since we are a public forum and shouldn't be used to plan activities that are not strictly legal.

Someone with a good handle on audio terminology will explain what sorts of links we are allowed to host. That will probably happen in the Grubb forum, so keep you eyes peeled for an explanatory thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.