Jazz?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Great photo! :love: But I am helplessly reminded of Lena Horne, which is no help at all.

It's got to be the elegant cheekbone.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Satchmo?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Miles?
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

She already has Miles and Duke I think...
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Yeah, I have a Duke (Ellington) and a Miles (Davis), as those are two of my favourites.

*adds Alatar's suggestion, plus "Louie" to the list*

I wish I could find a jazz musician that was called "Sport" as that is what I am calling him right now & he really responds to it.

So far the suggestions are:

BDH (Big Darn Hero) or Hero for short
Sonny (Rollins) as he is sometimes referred to as the "hero of jazz"
Sport
Satchimo (Louie Armstrong)
Louie (Armstrong)
Johnny (Williams) as in the film composer, who incidentally started in jazz
Grover (Washington Jr)
Charlie (Parker)

Not sure how I got so many sax players in there.... as I'm not really a sax fan...

ETA: Here is a pic of my jazz trio...

Miles, Duke and Sport (top to bottom)
Alys

Post by Alys »

Would he suit Dizzie (Gillespie) or (Count) Basie?

But if he likes Sport, then maybe it really is his name? ;) I was looking for something Tolkieny to call Murphy when I brought him home from the cattery, but Murphy he became, all by himself...:D
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I'd say call him Miles.

He looks like a Miles, as in Miles Davis.

ETA: NOT posted by JewelSong!

*goes to accost the culprit*
Last edited by JewelSong on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

She already has a Miles!!!! Try to keep up Jewel ;)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I didn't write that!!!! Looks like someone posted without logging me out first.

Um...at a wild guess, I would say it was PrinceAlarming, who coincidently lives here. He is not used to having to log in first!

I will speak to him! :D

tinwë

Post by tinwë »

I vote for Bela!
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Thanks for the input.

I think we're going with Sport.

I'll leave you with a parting picture or two:

:love:
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Or Louie...

Make that Louie.

His name is Louie.

:D
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Picked this up in a used album store for $5. A real steal.

Herbie Hancock- Gershwin's World.

This is a must for Gershwin fans, even if you don't like Hancock. The liner notes alone are fabulous. (If you want to read them you'll have to talk to TTBK. I don't do that sort of thing!)

Of particular interest is the Ravel piece. It starts out so delicate, and at the end is a jam session.

I'm in love... and TTBK is quickly getting sucked into the Gershwin frame of mind. Bonus!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Funny you bumped this, I was just thinking of posting in here. As previously noted, I've never got much into jazz. It doesn't bother me, generally, but I also find I can't "get into" it. I've been trying hard, though, to expand my relatively limited musical horizons, in whatever direction takes my fancy. I had heard so many times in so many places what an uber-classic Kind of Blue is, and in particular that it's the kind of jazz album that even people who don't like jazz can love. So I bought it this week. I'm listening to it a second time as I type. And...it's pleasant enough but, jeez, I just don't get it. Can someone please help me understand? What is the draw to this sort of music? What is the emotional resonance those of you who love this sort of music find in it? :help:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Emotionally.... it comes off as the confusion I generally feel. Life is so messed up in many ways... And Miles Davis just has a way of making you feel like you're not the only one who feels like that.

I honestly wouldn't have picked Miles for you though, yov.

You seem more like someone who needs something.... Norah Jones... or perhaps Billie Holliday....

It can be hard to "pick" jazz for someone else. It is something you have to find on your own. The album I mentioned in my post above is a pretty broad collection of styles. Herbie Hancock plays the piano & is very versatile.

One thing that my husband hasn't quite learned is that jazz can be very subjective to what you are feeling, and what he might like to listen to isn't always what I need to listen to. That is also why it is sometimes hard to listen to jazz on the radio.

Hope I'm makin' sense. :)

When TTBK & I got engaged I started writing him emails with samples of jazz hits to help him understand why I enjoyed it so much. It's such a culture on its own. I could probably post some of them, if you'd like. I particularly remember Billie Holliday's version of "You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You" being a big hit with him. It helped turned the lights on, so to speak. :D
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

Yov,
I have to agree with you that "Kind of Blue" (Miles Davis) is not for everybody's listening pleasure. I can't explain it, it's like abstract painting it's either you get it or don't. Like I would explain to a friend, it's not about what the painting conveys but it's the brush strokes that the painter used especially if we are looking at something the looks like child's play. They go :scratch: .

I couldn't answer the emotional resonance question why I like jazz so much. First off, I don't buy a certain type of music because it emotionally affects me. I buy it because it makes me relax or makes me high. I guess, I grew up with jazz music always played at home. Now, I have jazz music played to our babies all the time.

I don't know what's the draw at all. It's like asking somebody who likes Heavy metal music. Right now, I'm into Acid Jazz which is way way different from the contemporary jazz a lot of people listen to. I like the purely instrumental ones rather than the lyrical ones. It's a matter of taste I guess.

Maybe you should try Quincy Jones.
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Brian Wilson- Reimagines Gershwin

I knew I had to have this cd when I first heard it was coming out. TTBK got it for me for our monthiversary. Today I jokingly dubbed it "yov's worst nightmare"! ;)

It's not really jazz, but definitely something different. I'm finding I go from "OH I love this" to "Meh" between titles.

They Can't Take That Away From Me is perfect. 8)

I'm pretty sure I'd recommend the Herbie Hancock Gershwin before I'd say get this one... but I'm definitely a Beach Boys fan so this had to go into my Gershwin collection.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I heard about this, and I must say that my reactions was "huh?"
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Lol!

My response was a lot more enthusiastic, but honestly some of Wilson's best stuff has been in the last 10 years.

I'm liking it more, now that's I've been through the disc twice. It's a very interesting mix. :)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm glad you are enjoying it. :) I respect Brian Wilson's creativity, although I've never been a particularly big fan. And I know virtually nothing about Gershwin, other than the name. It didn't really seem to be a "fit" to me, but that probably had more to do with my own lack of knowledge as anything else.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."