Jazz?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Sorry, I didn't think there would be any issues since both Jonny and I own the songs we shared. Oops. :oops:
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

It's okay, cem. We had to take a moment ourselves to figure out what's OK
and what's not. The problem, from the board's point of view, is that this is an open forum and anyone passing through, even non-members, can click on the link and download the song. It's not that you personally intend to distribute free copies of your recording to the whole world, but that once a link gets posted here, that's essentially what happens.

It's not illegal to give a copy to one person, like Jonny or tinwë (there's some upper limit on how many copies you can give away ... I think it might be seven ... but Voronwë or nel would know better than I do, and really, if you made more than that in your own home and gave them away to friends, who would know?). The reason we want to avoid having public discussions in which people offer to share their MP3s is because this can start to look like a large magnitude of free sharing, basically all of our 140+ members could ask for songs and receive them and that would be enough to get us shut down if it came to the attention of TPTB.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

baby tuckoo wrote:tinwë, thanks for the thought but I've never up- or down-loaded any music either and haven't a clue how it's done. We'll just have to give CD recommendations by name.

Yes, Nickle Creek appears to have cashed in its quarters, and the final message adopts the usual veiled verbiage regarding exactly why.

Fortunately, they came through this part of the woods several times, including quite recently.
The CD is called Into The Cauldron. It’s just the two of them, Thile and Marshall, two mandolins and nothing else, the entire thing. It is something of an, er, acquired taste! Not your everyday casual listening music. Now seeing them perform, that’s another story. I kept having to pick my jaw up off the floor all night long. Just astonishing. They have a live disc out now too.

I hope you had chance to catch NC on one of their stops. I saw them in my town’s performing arts center, a very swanky formal opera hall. Bluegrass in a formal opera hall - what a hoot!

Sorry, some of the people here have heard these stories about a dozen times now. The good ones never get old though.

Jonny There are a couple of Thile’s projects I haven’t heard, and I’d be interested in your opinion of them if you have heard them. His solo album “Deceiver” is one. I listened to the samples and they just didn’t jump out at me the way his bluegrass stuff did. The Mutual Admiration Society album was the same way. But I haven’t heard either in its entirety, so I may be totally wrong about them. Any thoughts?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Jnyusa wrote:It's not illegal to give a copy to one person, like Jonny or tinwë
Unfortunately, even that is not true under U.S. law, Jn. I will be posting as clear guidelines as possible in a new thread in the Grubb forum soon.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Thanks, V! :bow:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
PrinceAlarming
Interferes With Natural Selection

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I love Jazz in all of its forms. There is bad Jazz, yes, as with anything. And like most good music, it's awesome-er live...

But the beauty Jazz hold for me is the fact that it can sometimes almost be like a musical science experiment. Embracing dissonance and off-tempo everything... I like experiencing 'different' Jazz for the same reason I would enjoy oserving an alien creature. I want to see how it moves, how it sounds, where is it going, it interesting.

I do like Miles, Brubeck, Coltrane, Grant Green (check him out, specifically "idle moments")
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just wanted to mention that thanks to cem's samples, I bought Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" CD and love it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
baby tuckoo
Deluded Simpleton

Post by baby tuckoo »

Caught Eva's show at the Palms in Winters last weeks.

Oooops. That was in my dreams.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

:(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

Eva left an incredible gift here on earth... the ability to mend hearts with her songs.

Last night I purchased the latest Josh Groban album (he is not a jazz singer, rather a neo-classical tenor) however the last track on the disc was a compliation with jazz pianist Herbie Hancock! Totally awesome. I think I might have "squee-d" even. :oops: :D

There are also two tracks he did with Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Very cool too.
PrinceAlarming

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I absolutely love Herbie Hancock...

Funky.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I will definitely check out the Josh Groban album, cem.

"You Raise Me Up" has lifted me over a lot of what I can only describe as . . . well, I can't really describe it. Here. :)
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

It's not jazz, Prim, but his newest inspirational song "Don't Give Up (You Are Loved)" is also very good.

As to Herbie, yes, PA has it right. Very funky.

I first heard him on a compliation disc a friend "lent" me. The man can play! :D
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

All you jazz lovers here, if you've never heard anything by the Finnish composer Heikki Sarmanto, go and try to find some of his music. He's probably my favourite jazz composer, and is also internationally known - not by the great audience, but certainly in the jazz circles. :)
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
PrinceAlarming

Post by PrinceAlarming »

Ah, a jazz muscian's jazz muscian.

I will definately check him out.
The_Hutter

Post by The_Hutter »

I Love jazz, it is awesome, but i dont pay attention still who does it, i just like it if it is good, and dont if it is not good,

But i love Jazz for the most part
PrinceAlarming

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I have to be in the mood for Jazz.

Brubeck and other more upbeat jazz is good for driving.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I think that jazz is one genre of music that almost HAS to be heard live in order to fully appreciate it.

The form is organic - ever-changing and very personal. Sure, there are plenty of excellent jazz recordings out there. But even the jazz that is actually recorded "live" loses something.

I hear the Dave Brubeck quartet live a number of years ago at a smallish theatre in Cambridge. It was just him (on a lovely 9 foot Steinway grand) a bass player, a drum kit and a guy who played flute and sax. Magic. Absolutely magic.

Brubeck played a solo version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that would break your heart.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

PrinceAlarming

Post by PrinceAlarming »

I heard him play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in D.C. It was amazing... But I can't keep Brubeck in the truck. A good recording will suffice.
cemthinae
TTBK's cemmie

Post by cemthinae »

*bump*

I have a new dog... and he needs a "jazz" name.

Any suggestions?

*click for a picture of the nameless one*