Jazz?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Jazz?

Post by Primula Baggins »

(This topic was split from the Grubb forum.)

I'm afraid I don't like jazz. :rage:
Last edited by Primula Baggins on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

I do, but only when it's performed live.

Dean Sanborn recordings ..... pfffffffft.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Of all the various kinds of music humankind has created, I confess that Jazz is my least favourite. I always assumed it's because I'm too ordinary to like it, it seems to me you have to be a cool city dweller who has five degrees in Political Science, a spouse of a different colour than you, and the owner of a dog of a breed no one else on earth has ever heard of.
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jazz is a little like traditional Irish music. It has to be listened to live. Unless you're talking Jazz/Rock fusion. I adore Stings more recent work and it can only be described as Jazz.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

There is jazz and there is jazz.
I like the swing kind of jazz. The Ella Fitgerald kind of jazz.
The rest of the stuff with its off tempo chaotic dischord makes me batty.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Me, too, Holby. If it's got a melody, I usually like it. It's the "weedly-deedly SQUEAK!" stuff that I can't enjoy.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

<Scratches Ornette Coleman recordings off list of potential Prim presents.>
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

:rofl:

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

vison wrote:Of all the various kinds of music humankind has created, I confess that Jazz is my least favourite. I always assumed it's because I'm too ordinary to like it, it seems to me you have to be a cool city dweller who has five degrees in Political Science, a spouse of a different colour than you, and the owner of a dog of a breed no one else on earth has ever heard of.
[nods in agreement]

Except I would also add a few other kinds of music, namely, most opera music [sorry, if that makes me a Philistine, so be it!] rap, hip-hop, and any form of 'music' that consists of the 'singer' screaming incomprehensible lyrics consisting mostly of swear words.

Okay, some jazz is pretty good. Lou Armstrong. Ella Fitzgerald. Della Reese...I think some of her stuff counts as jazz. Ray Charles. Stuff where you can hear the lyrics, sing along, and maybe dance to it, if you're so inclined.
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

<checks thread title>

<giggles>

Osgiliation at its finest!

:shock:

You DON'T like JAZZ!!!

Miles Davies, Dave Brubeck, Charlie Parker, John Coltrain, MJQ, Monk, Billie Holiday ...

and that's just a tip of the iceberg.

Genius. Every single one of 'em.

Oh, and Sunny, I agree (exepting opera, which I love) 'gangsta rap' is not music. It's mindless, mostly misogynist, not-even-particularly-rythmic noise.

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

Yes.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

While I don't at all like gansta rap, I do have to say it most definately is music.

But, it is horrible music. ;)
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Hey, Sassy, I did list some jazz artists that I DO like. Lou Armstrong got the honour of doing both the first AND last numbers at our wedding: "Be My Life's Companion", and "Moon River." Okay, can't really call "Moon River' 'jazz', but I think the other title would qualify!

And yup, osgiliatin' away here! =:)
Voronwë the Faithful

Tito Puente!

Sass, I agree with you about gangsta rap, but there is some (just a little bit) of very excellent, innovative hip hop music out there.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

*sw00ns for Tito Puente and Salsa*

Fania All-Stars, anybody?

:love:

an infinitesimal amount of hip-hop can be considered 'music' IMNSHO.

Yes.
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

*remembers that gansta rap was in her history of music textbook*

:P
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

<feels OLLLLLLLLLLLD>

:P
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Like so many other things in life (art and religion come to mind) I am willing to allow people their own beliefs. So, if someone believes that gangsta rap is music, that’s fine with me.

For myself, it’s largely a matter of timing and mood with rap and hip-hop. If I’m in the mood for it (which, I admit, I am at times) than I do like some of it. When I’m not in the mood I find it to be terribly annoying.

Personal tastes in music don’t seem to follow any rational logic though. For instance, my least favorite type of music is country, but my (second) favorite is Bluegrass.

My favorite is Led Zeppelin. (Yes, that is a “type” of music, in my opinion).

Go figure.
Voronwë the Faithful

Is it time ...

... to split off this discussion about music into the Cottage of Lost Play forum?
Sassafras

Post by Sassafras »

textbooks undergo frequent revision, Eru, and furthermore do not supplant my opinion on the matter which is LAW!

:P :P :P

*wraps shawl around Prim's ancient shoulders*

There, there, dear <conciliatory pat> don't take on so.

It's all in the mind, you know.

:D

Edit: Yes, 'tis Voronwë. Wanna do the honours?

Yes.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Vison wrote:t seems to me you have to be a cool city dweller who has five degrees in Political Science, a spouse of a different colour than you, and the owner of a dog of a breed no one else on earth has ever heard of.
I don't know about cool (or kewl! :D ), but I'm a city dweller who gets all itchy if I spend too much time away from the noise and hustle - but I don't got political science, a spouse of yellow or gree, nor ever owned a dawggie....but I do love jazz, in just about all of its manifestations, including all those 'fusions': jazz/rock, jazz/blues, jazz/world, jazz swing, classical jazz, jazz guitar, jazz piano, jazz, jazz, jazz...

In fact, we've nicknamed our son Jazz! :D
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.