Wedding music

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

It may not work on a beach, but for mine I chose (& arranged) sections from Respighi's Antiche danze ed arie (Ancient Airs and Dances).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvJC5t7-zQk
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I remember playing that in orchestra! I liked it, but yeah, I'm not sure I could pull it off given the setting and what I have.

I'm trying to decide if the second movement of Schumann's Marchenbilder is a good wedding march. I might start skipping and that would just be silly.

My parents were suggesting Telemann and a whole slab of childhood memories came flooding back. Some good, some not so good. And for some reason my dad thinks a selection or two from Carmina Burana would be a great plan, namely the segment featuring a swan lamenting being roasted. I have no idea why he thinks that should be sung at a wedding. Maybe because, once upon a time, I started making up my own lyrics to that section and would sing along with the recording more or less on key and in harmony. :help:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:I'm trying to decide if the second movement of Schumann's Marchenbilder is a good wedding march. I might start skipping and that would just be silly.
I would pay to see that. :P
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

**tries to imagine self skipping in her wedding stuff

Yeah, I'd pay to see that too!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think we are missing the most important question. What music goes well with squirt guns?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Those come after the ceremony. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:er: I should have left my imagination at home when I left for work. :nono:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

What? After the ceremony there will be a barbecue lunch and I will pass out squirt guns. What direction could you possibly take that in?

=:) =:) =:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Can I just say that your wedding sounds like it's going to be absolutely great—comfortable and fun and human-sized. :love:

Not that I'm at all surprised that that is the case.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lindréd

Post by Lindréd »

River,
I know this is very, very late, but I'm still new here.
First, let me say congratulations!, and that I wish you both
years and years of great happiness!!

I've sung at lots of weddings, and one of my favorite songs for that
particular occasion has always been "Since You've Asked" by Judy Collins,
especially for a couple who love the great outdoors.

The lyrics are wonderful, and the music by Judy C. is simply beautiful.
You might enjoy just reading the words, if nothing else:

http://www.judycollins.com/lyrics/Since_Youve_Asked.htm
"...the Sindar had the fairer voices and were more skilled in music...and loved the woods and riversides, and some still would wander far and wide without settled abode, and they sang as they went" - JRRT
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Cue the "Twilight Zone" music.

Lindréd, I just came to this thread to make the same suggestion. When I mentioned Judy Collins in the folk music thread that song came to mind in its entirety. I once sang it for a wedding, too, and it was a perfect fit.

Just to be absolutely clear, I am suggesting "Since You've Asked," not the "Twilight Zone" theme, for your wedding, River. Unless there's fog on the beach and the groom seems ... strange.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Oh, my. :shock: I know that song, but I'd forgotten the Colorado/mountain references. It seems almost scarily perfect to me.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

By the way, there are a couple of typos in those lyrics. Here's what it should be (corrected words in bold). Makes more sense this way.

What I'll give you since you've asked,
is all my time together.
Take the rugged sunny days,
the warm and rocky weather.
Take the roads that I have walked along,
looking for tomorrow's time.
Peace of mind.

As my life spills into yours,
changing with the hours.
Filling up the world with time,
turning time to flowers.
I can show you all the songs
that I never sang to one man before.

We have seen a million stones lying by the water.
You have climbed the hills with me to the mountain shelter.
Taking off the days one by one,
setting them to breathe in the sun.

Take the lilies and the lakes,
from the days of childhood.
All the willow-winding paths,
leading up and outward.
This is what I give,
this is what I ask you for,
nothing more.
solicitr

Post by solicitr »

I think we are missing the most important question. What music goes well with squirt guns?
More Respighi: Fountains of Rome. Duh. :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:)

Pachelbel's Canon in D is very popular. For our wedding, our pastor played the trumpet in Trumpet Voluntary. Somehow, that doesn't seem to fit with your wedding, though.

How about Vivaldi's Summer?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Summer might work. Or, more and more, I've been leaning towards a Bach cello suite. They sound excellent on the viola and because violas are tuned one octave higher than cellos, the transposition is trivial.

I'm not sure the Fountains of Rome can be arranged for what I've got going on the beach, BUT it was very nice and cleansing to listen to Respighi after a spot of sheer horror a friend directed me to. It's nice, at moments of sheer revulsion, to be reminded that there is light and beauty in the world.

"Since You Asked" is lovely. I'll run it by S.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, we all need to share in your horror. What did your friend have you listen to? =:)

(A Bach cello suite would be lovely!)
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

"My Humps" by The Black-eyed Peas. It was billed to me as the worst song ever and I should have just taken their word for it.

I will not link it. I will not play it at my wedding. And I will try to go back to the blissful days I had before I'd never heard that...thing.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:shock:

I dunno. I'm trying to imagine a string ensemble playing it. It might work!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

River wrote:Summer might work. Or, more and more, I've been leaning towards a Bach cello suite. They sound excellent on the viola and because violas are tuned one octave higher than cellos, the transposition is trivial.
I used to be able to play those on the viola. . . . Still have the sheet music. (And the viola, untouched for decades.)

Where are the snows of yesteryear? <heavy sigh>