Bob Marley

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
vison
Best friends forever

Bob Marley

Post by vison »

My grandson Tay has become a huge Bob Marley fan. He's downloaded some Marley songs onto his I-Pod.

He thinks I ought to buy a couple of Bob Marley CDs so I "can learn to enjoy it" and I guess I might try although I confess that I have never been able to like the music before. Don't hate me, Voronwë.

What would be the best first album to buy?
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

My guess, honestly, is that you won't like any of them. If you don't like the music, you don't like it. Different people have different tastes. Nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't even begin to try to choose a "favorite" Bob Marley album. Or to suggest which one might appeal to someone who doesn't particularly like Reggae music. I guess I would say to start with "Legend" which is basically a greatest hits compilation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I would have said Legend also, since it seems to be the gateway to Marley for most people. A lot of people, like me, are more than happy to stop there, while others use it as a jumping off point to explore more.

(Don't get me wrong, I love Legend, but I've never felt the need for any more...)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

"Three little birds" is one of my favorite songs ever.

:love:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I really meant, "which CD would be the best to buy for T", not for me, although I will listen to it.
Dig deeper.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Vison - I know just what you are experiencing. My son was born in 1978 - when he was about 14 he discovered Dylan and thought I was oh so cool since I had half a dozen of his albums and that gave me instant cred. Then a year later he discovered Marley and I was old hat - along with Mr. Zimmerman.

I sure do love that "One Love" song.

Enjoy it while you can. :)

oh - my grandsons middle name is Marley. Imagine that.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Redemption Song is my fave.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

vison, if you really want to make his day, get the four CD box set "Songs of Freedom".
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

thank you, Voronwë. I'll scope it out next time I'm at the mall.

You know, I do like some Bob Marley songs. I just don't understand, and this is meant sincerely without any sarcasm, I just don't understand WHY so many people think he's so important. One guy I know says, with perfect sincerity, that Bob Marley was the most important musician of the 20th century!!!

I can't argue against the stance, since I know nothing whatsoever about music except what I like.
Dig deeper.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's odd, I'm pretty indifferent towards Marley and don't care much for reggae in general, but if you were to put me on the spot and ask me what the best song I've ever heard is, I'd vote for No Woman, No Cry. An ironic title for a song that always makes me tear up. :)
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Well, I'm getting awfully tired of Buffalo Soldiers. I will not soon tire of Stir it Up, though. Always did like that. No Woman, No Cry is lovely.

The funny thing is, the Vancouver Sun recently ran a long and interesting article about the Buffalo Soldiers. Some of them came to BC and settled on Vancouver Island.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Bob Marley

Saw this on Facebook today. No instruments, just voice (and body percussion). I love, love, love it.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Bob Marley

Post by Alatar »

Very cool. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End