Classical music fans?

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Classical music fans?

Post by nerdanel »

I'm starting to listen to classical music actively for the first time in a few years, and I'm hoping to get to discuss it with others. I'm wondering if there's any interest here in starting a "listening thread" for classical music, much like the "reading" threads for books in other forums, in which we would listen to and discuss various classical pieces. Right now, I'm mostly interested in concertos and sonatas that are for violin, piano, or cello soloists, as well as symphonic works - but I'm flexible. Anyone else?
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I would be interested, though I can't commit to anything until October.

It would be helpful if we could make use of iTunes, or some other common source (there's a lot of music on YouTube, but the quality is poor). I have a huge stack of classical CDs, but probably not the same as anyone else's. Though sometimes there's fun in comparing versions of the same well-known piece.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Right now, I'm using Napster streaming (free.napster.com), which should be accessible to everyone (I don't *think* there's a US-only limitation, but we should check.) That would at least give everyone access to the same versions.

I'm not looking for anything too high-stress or committal for now - just to get a discussion going with like-minded people, and maybe for all of us to get some exposure to pieces we haven't heard before.

This thread is brought to you due to an SF Symphony concert I attended yesterday, in which I was thoroughly captivated by an unusual piece I'd never heard before, Ligeti's Lontano (I think the French must have invented the phrase je ne sais quoi as a response to this piece.)

:)
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I only know Ligeti from the 2001 score, and apparently his music was distorted there. That sounds interesting.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I would be interested - I have not been into classical at all, but am willing to explore it. I listened to a "sampler" CD a while back - and didn't particularly fall for it. Exploring it with folks might help me.

Am planning to gift NY Philharmonic concert tickets to R for his b'day....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I am listening to Ligeti at this moment.

Nice work, but you can't dance to it.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Clearly I need to learn more about Ligeti. Among many others.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Whistler wrote:I am listening to Ligeti at this moment.

Nice work, but you can't dance to it.
Why do I have an image of American Bandstand in my head...:D
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Don't you always associate Whistler with American Bandstand? I do.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Well, one COULD dance to Ligeti, I suppose -- why not?

Just not your usual sorts of dances. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It probably helps to have a Monolith handy.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I am unfamiliar with Ligeti.

But I have been known to dance to Yo Yo Ma playing Bach on solo cello. Sigh...

And to do housework to Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue...

And to twirl in place to Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade...

And to weep to Chopin's preludes...

And to laugh helplessly at Peter Schikele's (P.D.Q. Bach) announcement of Beethoven's 5th as if it's a sports event...

So count me in.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I adore Peter Schickele. His Beethoven's Fifth is a classic of classical music.

Then there's the Schleptet in E-flat minor, with the wind notes sustained for so long that you hear people collapsing and knocking over their music stands. . . .

And the cantata "Iphigenia in Brooklyn," with the unforgettable recitativ "Oh, ye gods! Who knows what it is to be running? Only he who is running, running, running [deep hooting note] knows." Followed, of course, by the brilliant aria "Running knows."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Ah yes, "Iphigenia in Brooklyn" ... happy memories.

And of course the Monk's Aria, which I was able to trot out in Latin class (the teacher was not amused):

Et expecto resurrecreation;
Et in unum Dominos and checkers;
Qui tollis peccata mundi morning.

Mea culpa kyrie elei-
Sonny Tufts et Allah in Pompeii;
Donna nobis pacem cum what mei;
Agnus and her sister Doris Dei;
Lord, have mercy on my so-o-o-lo.

Et in terra chicken pox romana;
Sic sic transit gloria mañana;
Sanctus estes Kefauviridiana
In flagrante delicto Svetlana;
Lord, have mercy on my so-o-o-lo.

Credo in, at most, unum deum;
Caveat nabisco mausoleum;
Coitus interruptus bonus meum;
Kimo sabe watchum what you sayum;
Lord, have mercy on my soul ... so low
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'd forgotten that aria. "Credo in, at most, unum deum." :D
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Schickele is best live.

Now back to the actual subject at hand. :D Wouldn't we want to try to drag in some of the more musically inclined folks around into the discussion? You know, the ones with training? I mean, we have writers talking about reading...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wampus, Teremia, and Nel are all gifted musicians, Ax. That's not to say there aren't more who could join in.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

When we say classical music, do we mean music of the classical era or all the different genres that fall under the umbrella of "classical"?
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I'm pretty sure it goes beyond the classical era, if Ligeti has been mentioned.

"Serious music"?

Music whose performers usually wear black or white tie and evening dresses?

:scratch:

There was an interesting article in a recent New Yorker pointing out that "concert etiquette" is a fairly recent development—that audiences used to wander around and chatter during concerts, and that it was very rare to hear more than a single movement of a symphony or concerto; concerts were made up of excerpts and famous bits, and it wasn't unheard of for people to shout requests at soloists—and not for encores, either. Beethoven's Ninth Symphony was daringly innovative in that it starts softly—it assumes the audience is already listening, which was not common then.

Now, of course, we all know not to clap between movements (also a new development) and not to applaud at the end until the conductor lowers his or her baton. But we weren't always so well trained.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Howdy there, I'm Oedipus Tex
You may have heard of my brother Rex
Oedipus Tex, that's what I said
But my friends just call me Oed

Now, that's what I call serious music. Just for the record, I have Schickele's autograph on my Biography Of P.D.Q. Bach.

No, you can't see it.

Everybody, please stay on topic.