Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Did you notice how old some of those clips were, too? Season 1 of Heroes . . . ER, which ended years ago . . . This isn't anything new. Nor is it undetectable to a trained eye, or so my son who has made shots like this tells me. I think the clip is really cool, but unlike some of the more . . . interesting commenters, what I mainly take away is (a) how much more visually interesting films and TV shows can be now, without blowing their entire budgets, (b) how much less interesting it must be to be an actor these days, and (c) that my son is going to be getting a lot of steady work. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ah, I ignored the comments. In fact if I could permanently disable Youtube comments I would!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think the world would be a less blighted place without them, no question.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Lurker
Crazy Canuck

Post by Lurker »

YouTube videos making the rounds at our office. I thought law students are bunch of nerds and geeks, they can rap, too. Winner of the Above the Law video contest.

http://youtu.be/uywubSYVgWc

and I like this one, too, reminds me of one or two people back in university:

http://youtu.be/hQsPC2n4T6Q
“Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished.” - Jeremy Bentham (1748 - 1832)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Has this been posted yet?
Murmurs of Middle Earth
Al wrote:Ah, I ignored the comments. In fact if I could permanently disable Youtube comments I would!
I posted this in Geeks, but here it is again.

AdBlock
Add filter
youtube.com##DIV#watch-discussion

Bliss.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That looks totally wonderful, Frelga! I'm going to have to do that.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAARjl8xJTY

I may never buy gas at this place again. There's a person I know in the cow patty bingo segment! :bawl:
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

This is just a video slideshow,
http://www.youtube.com/user/smsgjudo#p/ ... xlRGArQCk4
but I shot the video, captured the stills, and helped make the slide show.

Enjoy fast, before the copyright owners of the music have it taken down. :(

I'll put up a non musical version tomorrow.

Anyway, the hi def video cam turns out to be the best way for catching those impressive, up in the air throws. I'm really pleased with the results. Usually at a judo tournament with an ordinary camera, even with a sports multi photo function, I only get 2-3 good pics. This time I got a LOT! :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Very cool!

(What musical group is that? :er: But it was kind of catchy. :D)
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The group was "Drowning Pool" and the song name is "Bodies". I asked my daughter what she'd recommend as background music for a judo slideshow, and she pointed out this one to us.

So, we bought a copy from amazon.com, inserted it into the slide show, and uploaded it. A couple of hours later (SLOW connection at home) it was online, but youtube had tagged it as having copyrighted third party material and was thus unlikely to be legal. :(

I'm going to take it down myself in a little while, and upload a nonmusical version- because I really don't like exposing our judo club or the Show-Me State Games to a lawsuit.

I found a site called videoblocks.com last night that offers (in addition to other things) royalty free background music, and there were a couple of clips that would be OK.... but that company has a bad reputation and it might not be worth taking the risk of giving them my credit card number.

But anyway, I left that copyright violating :oops: version of the slideshow up on youtube because I couldn't possibly upload another version yesterday in the time I had. Ill fix it today.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Maria,

Look for sites that provide that kind of music that are aimed at schools. There are many legitimate ones that are used all the time by students making slide shows and films, and often there is no charge at all. I don't have links, but would probably be able to find some given time (I've edited a couple of books for teachers that were about making slide shows, podcasts, films, etc., and included how to obtain music that can be used legally).
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

It turns out there was an audioswap option on youtube, and the song we chose is on that list, so the slideshow is fixed and legal now! :D

Here's the new link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txlRGArQCk4

You get a little popup ad now, which is how they pay the artist, I guess. That's OK by me- I'm just glad we get to use the song. It's perfect for this!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Via Mr. Prim:

"Where's the little girl!?"

(very funny, but probably too noisy for work)
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl: Hilarious!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think Freddy might appreciate it. :P
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

He did! :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Not that he would ever behave in such a way. . . . :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, noooo. I mean, he wouldn't drive off shooting his gun out of the cruiser window. That would just be wrong.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Hardly ever, anyway.

That was the moment when I about hit the floor laughing.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup