Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by yovargas »

Teens be like

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

One guy sings the 'Duel of the Fates' from Star Wars by himself, making the sound for each instrument:

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The Silmarilion audiobook
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil, I'm terrible at listening to audio books/material. I have a hard time not getting distracted, zoning out, or falling asleep. I may give that a try, however.

For the past several weeks I've been TRYING to do a '100 Favorite songs of All Time' for Yov's thread but I'm really struggling. An abundance of great music to pick from. However, I did come across one that would definitely be in the top 100 and it seemed too timely to wait for me to finish my list. This gives me chills. Always has.

My heart is forever in the Shire.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

elengil wrote:

The Silmarilion audiobook
*Swoops*

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

If you dig around on Youtube, you can find some very nice, lavish, historical 70s and 80s TV miniseries from both sides of the Atlantic. I found Edward the Seventh to make an unexpectedly-compelling drama out of the life of the U.K.'s less-important monarchs. Annette Crosbie won a BAFTA for playing Queen Victoria. It starts slowly but picks up a couple of episodes in. The 1980 Love in a Cold Climate is also there.

A great little series about the Roosevelts, Eleanor and Franklin, used to be available but has been taken down.

I've started on Fall of Eagles, about the collapse of the Hapsburg, Hohenzollern and Romanov dynasties. I'll see how it goes.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

A couple of others -

Jeeves and Wooster, brilliant adaptation of P. G. Wodehouse's comic novels staring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry as the title characters.

The Pallisers, an adaptation of Trollope's Palliser novels.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Jeeves and Wooster was great, I just wish they had insisted on a stable cast, rather then filling the same part with whichever of their friends was available at the time of filming.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Alatar wrote:Jeeves and Wooster was great, I just wish they had insisted on a stable cast, rather then filling the same part with whichever of their friends was available at the time of filming.
It is a bit distracting, given that some of the same actors play different characters in different series. Although you often don't notice at first, given how well they shift from one to the other.

That said, the continuity of the two leads makes up for many of these sins.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I just watched the 1st Jeeves & Wooster. I don't often enjoy comedy but that was entertaining although with the accents and colloquialisms I couldn't quite catch everything being said. I'd always wondered where the name 'Jeeves' as a common name for a servant came from, although 'Home, James' is common too. And there's a Westie! :love:
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

There is a strand of English comic writing which features exaggerated characters and zingy one-liners. You can see it originally in Austen and Dickens, and more recently in Adams, Rowling and Pratchett. But the best examples are probably early twentieth century writers like Waugh and Mitford, and the best example of all probably P. G. Wodehouse. I wouldn't say that Wodehouse was necessarily a better novelist than the others, but he had a knack for character descriptions, dialogue and using the English language in ways nobody had thought of before: "while no longer disgruntled, he was still a long way from being gruntled".

Wodehouse's best creation (IMO) appears in the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMPuROQMBuw]first episode of the second series of Jeeves and Wooster[/i], the aspiring dictator Roderick Spode. He leads a farcical paramilitary organisation called the blackshorts, the premise forced on him because every colour of shirt was taken, but he insists that the shortness of their shorts is symbolic of the shortness of their patience with the existing political order. John Turner plays him brilliantly.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I discovered only recently the wonderful world of audiobooks on YouTube.

This one-man theatrical production of Hobbit is an absolute delight. He uses bits of movie music, and his voices are clearly inspired by the movie. It made me wistful for what might have been had Jackson stuck to Tolkien.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... mOODvMf0aT

This channel uploads audiobooks from old tapes. The linked playlist is of books read by Christopher Lee. That magnificent voice! I was listening to Sherlock Holmes but I'd listen to him read grocery store specials and not be bored.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LRsMgawW6i
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

:love: Something to listen to at work!
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's another one - Neil Gaiman reads his Graveyard Book. He is a fantastic reader.
https://youtu.be/sOF01vb4Rec

And this channel has mysteries and thrillers, mostly from early to mid- twentieth century. Alistair MacLean, Ian Fleming, Gardner and more.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQncqD ... iuLgFaJE9Q

Once you start, YouTube keeps suggesting more.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://youtu.be/kgIblQXwm2g

This is a gem. Christopher Lee reads an abridged version of Dracula. He is majestic, but not even his glorious voice can fix how silly the thing is.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga, that's awesome, will have to give a listen :D (I love how some classics are just so ridiculous, especially because they were written before their tropes became tropes and cliches)

Jude!! Hildegard Von Bingen by Hildegard Von Blingin'!

was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've got to take time to listen to a few of these.

I clicked on the Christopher Lee/ Dracula and it made me smile. It was recorded in the 1960's, which, by the music/sound affects is so typical. I laughed at the 'dramatic' music in the beginning. I watched Cary Grant & Grace Kelly in 'To Catch a Thief' last night and it had much the same music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I will freely admit to breaking down and laughing at

"Count Dracula *dramatic chord* had hairy palms!"

I still shouldn't have listened before bed.

elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I will freely admit to breaking down and laughing at

"Count Dracula *dramatic chord* had hairy palms!"

I still shouldn't have listened before bed.
I read that and the dramatic chord from Monty Python and the Holy Grail played in my head
was a 2020 planner.