Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Post by Alatar »

I thought it was funny :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote:
I admit, I saw this on my feed about 4 times before I actually watched it, but finally did and :rotfl:
I kept thinking this is so “indian dad”, and at the end it turned out to be a spoof on that! The “doctorate” comment had me rolling on the floor!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:
I kept thinking this is so “indian dad”, and at the end it turned out to be a spoof on that! The “doctorate” comment had me rolling on the floor![/quote]

Is 'Indian dad' a thing? :?

I think my favorite was the 'that's called stalking' bit. It reminded me of a show where these two guys were talking about one of their ex girlfriends and the one says "In movies that's romantic. In real life, that's called stalking." Because it's so freakin true!
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

It is among the Indian Diaspora! ;)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:It is among the Indian Diaspora! ;)
Well that makes sense :D
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
Inanna wrote:I kept thinking this is so “indian dad”, and at the end it turned out to be a spoof on that! The “doctorate” comment had me rolling on the floor!
Is 'Indian dad' a thing? :?
I knew this.. but I don't know how/why/recall where I've seen stuff on "indian dad" before. There is an Indian comedienne who regularly does the whole Indian family thing. On YouTube she dresses up as each member of the family.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

She is one of my favorites! There was another guy on brown families... from Pakistan, I think. totally hilarious. His “if Spider-Man was brown” was too much.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Waaaayyyy back (however long ago it was now I literally have no idea) I watched The Kumars at 42 on BBC America. That was hilarious. Anyone else ever hear of it?

was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yes, I remember the Kumars, and the cast of "Goodness Gracious Me" before that.

There was the famous "Going for an English" sketch.

Snowdog

Vale Peter Green - Co-founder of the band 'Fleetwood Mac'

Post by Snowdog »

Yesterday I awoke to some bad news, and I am really bummed out about it. Peter Green, guitarist and songwriter of the original Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green, Jeremy Spencer, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie) passed away in his sleep.

I always loved Peter's music, and though some of his songs were better known when covered by others (Green Manalishi by Judas Priest, Black Magic Woman by Santana), the deep blues they played in those early years after being spawned from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers really had an effect on my musical tastes through my life. When Danny Kirwin joined the band they were in my opinion at their best. I wasn't happy when Peter decided to leave Fleetwood Mac in 1970 but his mental stability was suffering from not only drug use but undiagnosed schizophrenia. For many many years he had gone on some religious journey and refused royalties from his music, and was in and out of treatment for his schizophrenia. He did get a handle on things and did resurface in the late 80's and played select live shows of his own choosing. My one and onluy chance to see him came in 2010 when he appeared at the Byron Bay Blues Festival. Had tickets but didn't get to go as my wife's grandmother passed away and the funeral services were on the same day.

This recording is from Peter's last days with Fleetwood Mac in mid 1970 at The Boston Tea Party Club where they played several times since the band formed in 1967.

And a song of Peter's that forst appeared on a Fleetwood Mac album but was made famous by Santana a couple years later...

And this gem is when both Carlos Santana and Peter Green played Black Magic Woman together in 1998 when Santana was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Rest in Peace Peter Green.
Last edited by Snowdog on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's definitely a great loss. I think most people associate Fleetwood Mac with the later, Poppier iteration, but he was a true giant. I'm sorry you missed out on the chance to see him (and I'm sorry for your family's loss!). I wonder how he would have sounded then?

Thanks for posting. I meant to but didn't.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

This was on the radio yesterday. I share it because, if you can make it to about 2 minutes in, it is almost relevant here :rofl:

was a 2020 planner.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It's definitely a great loss. I think most people associate Fleetwood Mac with the later, Poppier iteration, but he was a true giant. I'm sorry you missed out on the chance to see him (and I'm sorry for your family's loss!). I wonder how he would have sounded then?
I had the wrong year as it was 2010. It was right after we saw Mumford & Sons at the Laneway Festival.

Peter sounded pretty good! He was very choosy about when he would appear on stage as he still battled his bi-polar tendencies and he did cancel on some shows. Fortunately he was doing pretty good and I understand it was a treat to see him.

I also heard, but can't prove, that he did a surprise sideshow in Brisbane at a small bar. I'm searching for that now...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

A few pages back I posted someone's reaction video to the LotR films. I've seen quite a few more on Youtube, and I just realised why they're there - there's a large number of Youtube content creators who are too young to have seen the LotR films in theatres or even remember them being released, so they're only finding them now as adults. Many of them had only know of the basic premise through internet memes.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

When I was at the Extended Edition viewings I over heard some teenagers discussing it, basically saying how good they were considering they were "old" movies. One even commented that Return of the King was "like Endgame 20 years ago" :)
elengil

Post by elengil »

Túrin Turambar wrote:A few pages back I posted someone's reaction video to the LotR films. I've seen quite a few more on Youtube, and I just realised why they're there - there's a large number of Youtube content creators who are too young to have seen the LotR films in theatres or even remember them being released, so they're only finding them now as adults. Many of them had only know of the basic premise through internet memes.
What always baffles me about things like this - even acknowledging it's broadly true - is that I was born the same year Star Wars came out. I still grew up with Star Wars, I saw it early in life, I played with the toys, etc. I can't quite understand how simply being born around the time a movie came out seems to translate to not seeing that movie until being an adult. I mean random movies that are forgotten the next year is one thing, but massive franchises that "change everything" kind of releases, I don't quite get how large chunks of people don't see them.
was a 2020 planner.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I think a lot of the online Youtubers weren't necessarily into "geek" culture, hence didn't seek out the LotR films. A few of them have done reaction videos to the Star Wars films as well.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I didn't discover The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, or fantasy in general until I was an adult. I preferred historical fiction. I did see Star Wars. Just about everyone saw Star Wars when it first came out.

I know people though who don't allow their children to view such things (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Marvel franchise films, etc..). Mostly because they are religious but some just don't like their children getting into 'Pop' culture and the materialism that often goes along with it. It's very possible they were not exposed/allowed such things until they were adults.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

There's a huge difference in culture between the release of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. In 1977, the VCR had just been invented, and most people wouldn't have one till the mid 80s. A movie that came out in the Cinema could be there for up to a year if it was popular enough. It would be at least a couple of years after that before it would make it to terrestrial TV and VCR. As a teenager in the 80s, the release of Star Wars on VCR was a bona fide EVENT!

Fast forward to 2000. Fellowship comes out and the vast majority of the promotion is on the internet. We spend hours downloading the video of the first trailers. We get the DVD's the Appendices, the Extended Editions all in quick succession. We are completely saturated with content. And then the world moves onto the "next big thing". Harry Potter is winding up to a climax, the MCU is getting started, and then the Hobbit performs poorly. THis is the world a teenager in the 2010's inherits. They have Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Prime. They've seen all the "best bits" of LotR in memes and youtube clips. It might as well be Gone with the Wind to a lot of them
elengil

Post by elengil »

Astute observation, Alatar.
was a 2020 planner.