Good music and other good stuff on youtube and Facebook

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Gosh, no you tube thread?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I hope she doesn't waste that talent! That would be a real shame.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Based on her closing words in this video, I think we should arrange a moot in Nancy Pelosi's office.

Do you think she'd mind?

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I almost forgot what it feels like to say "what did I just watch?" and mean it in a nice way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpnTlCRA-6c
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Since I am boycotting reality tonight:

The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

This just makes me so happy I have to share. I don't know the words (Maybe some of our more linguistically knowledgeable members can help out there?)

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:This just makes me so happy I have to share. I don't know the words (Maybe some of our more linguistically knowledgeable members can help out there?)
We aim to give satisfaction. Very accurately, if required.

Oy, Ivan, hey, Ivan
Where have you been all evening long
That you haven't visited your girl
Your dear lady haven't seen

Dear lady, dear girl
Don't be angry with me
That I didn't come to see you
Was out in the street* instead
Played my fiddle all that time

* Street here is the village street, where young people gather for song and dance.

It does sound more Celtic to me than I typically expect from Russian folk music. Maybe because I associate fiddles with either Romani or Jewish Easter European music.

I went looking for something authentic and came up with this instead.

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

That’s definitely accurate (especially if your tastes so run that way).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Makes sense it has a more Celtic vibe to it, I found it (via youtube) while listening to some Gaelic music. Thank you for the lyrics, that is fantastic!! I love listening to all kinds of folk music, (authentic or ... otherwise) and have a rather large collection of non-English songs I listen to. This is one of the first in Russian, though! (Tetris doesn't really count)

That is a fantastic song, and that definitely evokes Russian to me, as a completely unschooled listener :)
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga, you are originally from Ukraine?

My father's grandparents were Carpatho-Rusyns/Rus/Ruthenians from Stropkov, Slovakia (the other from Bardejov), neither of which is far from the Polish/Ukrainian border. I seem to recall a lot of accordion and violin in their music (but not of the Celtic variety). Sword dancing must be a Russian thing. :horse:

Some lump the Rus in with Ukrainians or Slovaks, but they vehemently claim to be separate. The language is different. My great Uncle traveled to Slovakia in the 60's/70's & said he couldn't understand the language until he was very close to Stropkov.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rose, yeah, people in Carpathian mountains are their own thing. I was in Near-Carpathia once, as a kid, and the Hutzuls there were pretty hard to understand even though I could follow Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish.

The video I posted is a Kazak (Cossak) song, which is not quite the same as Russian. The drumbeat is distinctly Caucasian as are some of the costumes and the art of the saber (shashka) twirling. The Cossaks fought in the Caucasian mountains for decades, trying to subdue the Chechens and other peoples, and the cultural influence was significant. If you look up lezghinka on YouTube, you'll see what I mean about the drums, and also watch some amazing dancing.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Fascinating. Lezginka should translate to 'peacock dance' ;) Lots of strutting!

I got the name of the town(s) my grandmothers parents were from wrong.. they were from the tiny towns of Krušinec and Chotča (just north of Stropkov).

I recall my grandmother mentioning the Cossaks (and not in a very nice way).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If you want a peacock dance, you should watch this, by the legendary Soviet ballet dancer Makhmud Esambayev.

Last edited by Frelga on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

elengil

Post by elengil »

I really, really hope this does not offend, but OMG I almost choked laughing! The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly I think pushed me over the edge :rotfl: I'm not saying he isn't talented, but that was hilarious.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is very 50/60's ish. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This is simultaneously one of the best covers of the Bohemian Rhapsody I've ever heard, and the best Hanukkah song of modern times. It's even slightly educational.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Also a great A Capella performance!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Right? I kept thinking, that's got to be a guitar, but it really wasn't. I don't think? I don't have the best ear. :D

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It was voice put through a distortion pedal, same as you'd do with a guitar.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

Outstanding!!!
was a 2020 planner.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

.....and the award for yov's Song of the Year goes to Janelle Monae for her sexy Prince-tastic jam, Make Me Feel.
(The video is also way cool.)

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists