Casablanca

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

vison wrote:He was, if you liked Bogart. But I never did, and that's where I went wrong, I guess. :(
If it's any comfort, I don't like him much either. I don't loathe him or anything, I just don't :love: him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Actually, Holby, I've never seen The Caine Mutiny, so I didn't know Bogart played Queeg. I read the book a couple of times, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Same here. Wow; its hard for me to imagine Bogart in that part. (Reminds me that it's time to re-read the book, though.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

vison wrote: I also couldn't stand Citizen Kane. I don't get it. I just don't. I mean, I know what it's ABOUT, but I don't get why critics rave about it. I don't know many regular people who like it.
I’ve always found it interesting (and possibly reflective on film criticism in general) that the most critically-acclaimed film of all time doesn’t seem to have that many fans. Its praise comes from the story (the whole man doing bad things from his good intentions is a classic with literary types) and the technical innovations from the film itself (the novel use of low camera angles, showing the passage of time through rapid editing, use of symbolism, etc).

Personally, I think that the point of a film is to be entertaining, and so while I can appreciate Kane as an achievement (especially from the 25-year-old Orson Welles) it’ll never be one of my favourites, nor do I consider it the greatest film of all time.

I largely agree with yovargas about Casablanca - it's strength comes from a brilliant script brilliantly acted.

By the way, what does ‘here’s looking at you, kid’ actually mean?
Last edited by Túrin Turambar on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

CK is a tragedy. Tragedies are rarely entertaining but often enlightening.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It's a toast, L_M. "Here's [to] looking at you, kid." Meaning looking at Ingrid Bergman is well worth doing, which, well—even I have to agree with that.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Primula Baggins wrote:It's a toast, L_M. "Here's [to] looking at you, kid." Meaning looking at Ingrid Bergman is well worth doing, which, well—even I have to agree with that.
Ah, I see - it didn't quite make sense to me without the 'to'.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Primula Baggins wrote:Actually, Holby, I've never seen The Caine Mutiny, so I didn't know Bogart played Queeg. I read the book a couple of times, though.
It's a good movie but I liked the book better. I'm not sure he completely pulled of Queeg, but he was good in the role.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A Fortuitous Meeting
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga :D

I saw Citizen Kane only once, years ago, and due to a sieve-like mind, I can't remember many details. I remember the main storyline, I remember the opening and closing, I remember feeling chilled as the lead character descended deeper into cynicism and cold-heartedness. I also remember I was very moved by the film. I can't say I enjoyed it, but the psychological portrayal cut deep for me. So, yes, I really do like the film very much - and now that it's been brought forward for me again, am much inclined to hiring it soon. I wonder whether it will strike me as powerfully as it did the first time?
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Impy, is that your photo in your avatar? Gorgeous!

I must have a critic's mindset, because I love both Casablanca and Citizen Kane. Part of it is a visceral response to the cinematography. As filmed, Bergman is the epitome of beauty. Kane's world is painfully dark: sumptuous but hollow.

I suspect cinematographers had to work harder when they were limited to black and white. The best ones made the gray scale glow in a way that makes color seem drab.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't know if it is having a critic's mindset, so much as having good taste (as you demonstrate with the first comment in your post :)). Both are great films, although for different reasons.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Both are great films. But there are films we recognize as great, and there are films we love (that, say, we watch over and over with pleasure). For most people the two categories intersect, but they certainly don't overlap 100%.
Túrin Turambar

Re: Casablanca

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Just bumped this Bush-era thread to observe that the last person to have a speaking role in Casablanca has died. Madeleine Lebeau would be another of those actors who is best-known worldwide for a role played very early in her career.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

And she was actually a refugee from occupied France when it was filmed, so she had plenty to draw on for her performance.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

I showed "Casablanca" to my 7th grade class last year - we had been doing a brief unit on National Anthems and I had shown them the famous scene ("Play La Marseillaise! Play it!") and they were very taken with it and wanted to see the entire film. So, at the end of the year, we watched the whole thing. I gave them a little background and told them that one of the reasons I liked it was that it had everything - love, death, betrayal, humor, patriotism, war and friendship.

After it was over, three of the boys told me that it was "the BEST movie" they had ever seen - ever! They wanted to know if "that guy" (meaning Bogart) was in any other movies! :D :D :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

“I have many friends in Casablanca, but somehow, just because you despise me, you are the only one I trust.”
-Ugarte talking to Rick

Top film! So many good quotes! I think the first time I saw it was in the early 70's on some TV late-night movie show complete with gaudy Ronco and Rug Emporium commercials. Probably watched it thirty times since! Somehow I ended up with two 70th Anniversary DVDs.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins