January: Beauty is in the Ai! of the Beholder

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

That's exactly right, Prim, but I apologise for osgiliating the thread. Please continue with the pics.

Hobby, I'll PM you.
Mrs. Frodo Baggins
Sidonzo

Post by Mrs. Frodo Baggins »

OK, here are my favorite pictures that I drew inspired from Tolkien's work. I think most of you may have seen these, but there may be one or two that hasn't. ;) I haven't drawn much Tolkien lately...I'll have to remedy that.

I'll show them in story order.

Gandalf and Frodo discussing the Ring at Bag End:

Goldberry as Frodo first sees her:

Frodo claiming the Ring at Mount Doom:

Arwen giving Frodo the Evenstar:

Hmmm...I wonder who my favorite character is? :P :D Those are probably bad enough to qualify for bad Tolkien art, although I do try to stay within the spirit of the book with my drawings (except for the momentary forgetfulness of what Frodo was wearing at Mount Doom).

~Sid Baggins
Last edited by Mrs. Frodo Baggins on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Cool, Sid!!!

I adore that picture of Goldberry! :bow:

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
It's time to try defying gravity

Post by MaidenOfTheShieldarm »

Sid, your drawings are so far from being bad Tolkien art. I've always loved the one of Goldberry and the one of Arwen and Frodo. You've got a unique style, but unique in a good way, unlike, say, Ezpeleta (sp?). :)

Did someone mention the brothers Hildebrandt earlier?

This one always seemed like a sort of Robin Hood/Middle Earth crossover.

Frodo and Sam get lost and stray into Sherwood Forest, where they meet Robin Hood and his Merry Men. They join together to depose the evil Sherrif of Mordor.
And it is said by the Eldar that in the water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the sea, and yet know not what for what they listen.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Bros. Hildebrand: :puke:

I have a 1981 calendar that says, "To honor the silver anniversary". (Honour is spelled honor on this calendar.) "Twelve masterfully rendered illustrations from Ralph Bakshi's Fantasy Film production...etc."

While I loathe the Hobbits a la Bakshi, the other pictures aren't really bad. Not really bad. Just semi-bad, I guess.

I should offer this thing on E-Bay and get rich, eh?
Dig deeper.
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I saw the Bakshi version a few months ago for the first time.

I thought it wasn't half bad! :D

It's really hard to say what I liked - most of the drawings were ghastly! But the whole composition, the choice of scenes, the atmosphere - much of it wasn't bad, I thought, especially for an animated movie.

Nice work, Sid! :)

Brothers Hildebrandt - they are nice drawings, if they were illustrations of a fairy tale book or so, they just are too naive for LOTR! ;)
Frodo and Sam get lost and stray into Sherwood Forest, where they meet Robin Hood and his Merry Men. They join together to depose the evil Sherrif of Mordor.
Good caption! :D
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

"Campy" would be the word to describe the Hildebrandts' works for me...

They're not actually bad paintings, just too fairytale-like to do justice to Tolkien's stories.
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I always want Tolkien illustrations to show the dignity of the characters, and some sense of the age and wisdom of Elves. I rarely get my wish with respect to the hobbits, so often drawn as stocky little boys or garden gnomes (even though Tolkien makes it clear that they're proportioned like Men). It's a little better with Elves, though not when the pointy ear thing is carried to extremes. :roll:

And Rowanberry is right: "Fairy-tale" is exactly the wrong mood for a Tolkien illustration. They should look like history.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King