Brokeback Mountain

Discussion of performing arts, including theatre, film, television, and music.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"Gay romance is easier to sell to the academy than a complex study of an Israeli assassin."

:) How far we have come. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

yovargas
that statement would be purely a matter of individual perspective .... some may well ask the opposite question ....
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Huh?
-The Decemberists

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

try it this way...

"look how far we have sunk"

its all a matter of perspective.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh. That's true, I guess. But I don't much care what they think.
-The Decemberists

Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Actually I have never been one to care what the Golden Globes or Oscars thought. If I liked a movie...well it doesn't matter what awards it recieves or does not recieve. I mean I am a Star Wars fan after all.

I think some of the best movies have not recieved any awards, particularly Indie films, and some of those are far better than main stream Hollyweird.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

I just saw it today. Excellent movie. I am quite haunted by it especially the scenes near the end.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Especially when Ennis is on the phone talking to Jack's wife and she is telling him what happened while they show us what really happened to Jack. It didn't sink in at first but but on reflection it's so chilling how they put that together.

Spoiler over.

There was one scene that had me go :shock: but then I got over it. It really is a love story. I had viewed the press conference for the movie while it was at the Toronto film festival and Anne Hathaway got a tiny bit 'uppity' when reporters were calling it a 'gay cowboy movie'. I now totally understand where she was coming from. Very well acted. I liked Gyllenhaal too (I don't think he was too pretty, just pretty enough).