COVID 19 Poem

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
RoseMorninStar

Re: COVID 19 Poem

Post by RoseMorninStar »

*Is feeling undereducated*

I recognized the Skye Boat song... but from Outlander... :oops: It's lovely.

The only poem I memorized (and still know by heart to this day) is Robert Frosts, 'Nothing Gold Can Stay'.

Of course, some of those phrases sounded familiar, but not that I'd know offhand whence they came.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Rose, you're not familiar with Frost's "Stopping By the Woods On a Snowy Evening"?
It has that famous last line: "But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep"
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sounding familiar is different than being able to recite something from memory. I'd have to say my memory of classes in school focused on creating something new moreso than learning/ memorizing the classics. I also began working quite young (11) and didn't have the time for such things.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It is here...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Alatar, I meant Innisfree isn't considered uniquely Irish, and just about any Canadian of my generation would recognize that first line!
That poem and Sea Fever were the two I got right off the bat, along with Loveliest of Trees (the cherry now).
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No, I was replying to the comment that classic poetry isn't taught in schools. It is here.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I moved several times in my childhood so it could be that I missed out on certain areas of education. In high school we had certain requirements for English but could choose from a wide variety of courses/ it was not standardized across the board.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I moved several times in my childhood so it could be that I missed out on certain areas of education. In high school we had certain requirements for English but could choose from a wide variety of courses/ it was not standardized across the board.
I don't think it is because you missed out on certain areas because you moved. I don't think it is emphasized in much of the U.S. It certainly wasn't where I went to school, at what was considered to be a high quality public school in a well-off area on Long Island.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

V, that could be, I never know. In my freshman year of HS we moved to another state mid school year. In one state they taught American History, in the other Civics. Because more than 1/2 the year was up I ended up having to retake Civics even though I didn't have a failing grade. The English courses I remember taking focused on writing, not literature. I'm sure literature classes were offered, but not required.