Amelia Peabody

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Amelia Peabody

Post by Nin »

Just before going to bed, I decided to open this thread quickly - I had mentionned Amelia Peabody in the postcard exchange thread... which made other people curious.

Will be back to tell more about how I discovered this Victorian Lady and her adventures. :)
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

All the glowing recommendations in the other thread have got me wanting to read this series!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

NYPL's ebooks catalog has them. There is small waiting list for them, but I have put in my requests for Book 1 and 2!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well I took the only book the library had; I think it's #19 in the series. Hopefully that will be okay! I started reading it last night and like it so far.
Nin
Ni Dieu, ni maître

Post by Nin »

What is the title, Lali?
"nolite te bastardes carborundorum".
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've finished the first book in the series and thoroughly enjoyed the style of writing and the way the plot developed. Will try and get book two this afternoon from a branch library about 4 miles away. Having checked our County library service catalogue it seems quite a lot of the series is dispersed around the County in the smaller branches, so I'll either have to drive over or reserve each volume at 60p per book!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

How thick is the first book? I'm wondering if it would be a good choice to read on the plane...
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

My paperback is 3/4 of an inch! (306pp)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Ah - perfect for transatlantic flights, then.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, I've read three books now - and started my fourth - although after the first two in the series I'm having to jump about a bit as they are not all available from my local library. I guess you could say I'm hooked!

Can't help imagining what a movie adaptation or TV series would be like - and who should play the main characters. Someone like Emma Thompson would have been ideal for Peabody a few years ago. Any suggestions from the current crop of actors? And for Emerson? Someone suitably imposing in stature, obviously, with broad shoulders and well-developed pecs... :D
Last edited by Elentári on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I stumbled across this video interview with Elizabeth Peters which was ostensibly to promote her most recent novel. It is presumably filmed in her home...take a look at what is on the wall at 1:12! :)

http://youtu.be/nGvnjnuJJGo
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Can't watch now, but I am guessing something Tolkien related? 8) I know Peters is a big fan of both Tolkien and Pratchett.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yep - but I won't spoil it for others who haven't watched it yet...

Cool lady! 8)
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

So... chick lit? Or would I enjoy them? Are we talking Nancy Drew here or Indiana Jones?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I've not read Nancy Drew, but according to a New York Times Book Review

"Between Amelia Peabody and Indiana Jones, it's Amelia - in wit and daring - by a landslide"

Seriously, Peters herself was a great fan of H. Rider Haggard and these novels are her affectionate tribute to them - a blend of satire, mystery, romance, and comedy...at times they're laugh out loud funny, particularly in her portrayal of the (touching) relationship between Peabody and her husband and of course their precocious son.

The archaeology is accurate for the time (late 1880s-early 1920s) and the books give a commentary on the British in Eqypt in the Victorian era without being condescending. What is unusual is her portrayal of a woman as complete and not subsumed by the “mother” label.

But I'm sure Frelga and Nin can give a better write up of why you should read the books!
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Peters is miles better than Haggard, IMO. I just finished listening to King Solomon's Mines, so it's a fresh comparison. Later books, especially, evolve into historical novels set against the background of the World War.

And I love that the main characters are real people, even if they are larger than life. You don't often see a set of protagonists that form a loving family, quirky as they are. Weasleys, maybe, but most of them are supporting cast. Even Sybille Vimes doesn't often get the main stage.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I would also add, don't be put off by the "romance" - that content really is handled in a light-hearted, often pragmatic manner - not sentimental or slushy at all, and yet the marital relationship is heart-warming and sincere...or, as Amelia puts it ""Marriage should be a balanced stalemate between equal adversaries..."

Of course, several of the books end up with secondary characters pairing off at the end - much to Emerson's chagrin:
Emerson's fist came down on the table with a crash that made the crockery rattle. "Damnation! I knew it! Another pair of confounded young lovers"
:D
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I just bought the first book and am having a delightful time with it.

I've read some of Peters' medieval (Cadfael) books and found them predictable and a bit sentimental. This protagonist, however, would never permit such a thing! I hope so, anyway; I would love to have a long string of entertainment stretching out ahead.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote:I just bought the first book and am having a delightful time with it.

I've read some of Peters' medieval (Cadfael) books and found them predictable and a bit sentimental. This protagonist, however, would never permit such a thing! I hope so, anyway; I would love to have a long string of entertainment stretching out ahead.

An understandable confusion, Prim....the Cadfael books were written by Ellis Peters (the non de plume of Edith Pargeter). Elizabeth Peters is a totally different author who also writes under several other names...but glad you are enjoying the first book so much!
Last edited by Elentári on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote:I just bought the first book and am having a delightful time with it.

An understandable confusion, Prim....the Cadfael books were written by Ellis Peters (the Nóm de plume of Edith Pargeter). Elizabeth Peters is a totally different author who also writes under several other names...

I'm glad you are enjoying the first book so much! :)
Last edited by Elentári on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes