The Cult of Beauty: The Victorian Avant-Garde 1860–1900

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

I thought that folks in the San Francisco Bay Area might like to know about this exhibit at the Legion of Honor. It runs through June 17th. My wife and I plan to see it this coming Thursday.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

That looks fascinating, Tom! I wish we could see it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think Virgin is running a sale on flights from Portland. That's close to you, right? =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Heh. :blackeye: It'd be fun! But life is a bit involved right now. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, boy! I want to see that so badly! :( Am going to check whether any venue in Australia is included in the world tour.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

It was a bright sunny day in San Francisco yesterday, if a bit breezy as is not unusual. We enjoyed the exhibit very much. If you haven't viewed the video found at the bottom of the webpage linked above, I recommend you do so. It is a very good representation of the exhibit.