Most annoying character in literature?

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

CosmicBob wrote:Thomas Covenant is one of the most annoying characters I know of. Literature or not.

Linden Avery is even worse.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

CosmicBob--

Agreed about Thomas Covenant. I kept reading, and reading, and reading, hoping that at some time I'd get over my active wish that he'd die in searing pain. Never happened.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

It ain't over yet, and he is in pain now.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Too late, my desire to see nasty pieces of work suffer moved on as I grew up. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hows it coming along Holby? I decided to wait for the third volume and then read them together.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I read the first book of the "new" Covenant series, but I just couldn't read any more.

Donaldson is a good writer, but it's difficult to get past the annoying characters. But I did like his "Gap" series.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

CosmicBob wrote:I read the first book of the "new" Covenant series, but I just couldn't read any more.

Donaldson is a good writer, but it's difficult to get past the annoying characters. But I did like his "Gap" series.
I remember reading the original Chronicles - well I persevered through all six volumes and it was a struggle - but have had no interest in even looking at the new series even though I bought the first two for my husband (he read the first volume and hasn't touched the second!). He read and enjoyed the "Gap" series, too, but the only Donaldson novels I have really enjoyed are the "Mordant's Need" duo and "Daughter of Regals" short story.

Oh, and I also would nominate Emily Bronte's Catherine as the most annoying heroine (though I see nobody's mentioned Bella Swann yet... =:) )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Elentári wrote:Oh, and I also would nominate Emily Bronte's Catherine as the most annoying heroine (though I see nobody's mentioned Bella Swann yet... =:) )
Oh, you got that right!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I think I would agree to that, too, but I haven't actually read the books. And I definitely don't think they count as literature. ;)
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

Lalaith wrote:I think I would agree to that, too, but I haven't actually read the books. And I definitely don't think they count as literature. ;)
If you've seen the movies, Kristen Stewart does a really good job of translating how annoying Bella is. But the book Bella is even more annoying. Because you hear what she's thinking.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I've seen enough of the movies and read enough of the books to get the idea. I want to push her off a cliff. :x
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

My daughter sent me this one:

Bella: You're pale white and ice cold. I know what you are..

Edward: Say it...Out loud...Say it!

Bella: A Snowman.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:rofl:

ETA: Hey! That would explain the sparkliness!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I have wondered before and will no doubt continue to wonder why it is that I have never written a teen book or series of books filled with sexy angst (angsty sex?) and got rich.

Passion's Purple Promise could be revamped. Venus could become a lonely, brilliant but hesitant girl. Her lover with his sleek steam yacht could become a vampire/werewolf/Giant Bat.

Jeez. I need some free time here.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Since no one appears to mind, I'm going to move this thread to the Library of Rivendell. I'll leave a shadow here for a few days; clicking on that will take you to the thread in the Library.

Thanks.

—Prim, for the marshals
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

vison wrote:I have wondered before and will no doubt continue to wonder why it is that I have never written a teen book or series of books filled with sexy angst (angsty sex?) and got rich.
I sometimes dream of writing a Great Book, a work of literary genius, etc etc ...

And then I think what you thought. :D
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Same here. I'm fairly confident I could write a bodice ripper, too. :neutral:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Denethor.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Alatar wrote:Hows it coming along Holby? I decided to wait for the third volume and then read them together.
The first one was ok. It was Linden all the way through and that got tiresome. The second was a bit better. There was a stretch of about 200 pages at the beginning of the 3rd book that was just about his best. After that the pace slowed to a crawl, though the ending was pretty good. Two years to go I think before the last one is released, and it is either going to be really good or really bad. Just hoping it isn't overly contrived.
As far as I know, none of them are in paperback for whatever reason.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I made it through the first one, started the second and could not bring myself to read much of it. I don't know for sure why.