The Kindle Books and Resources List

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Impenitent »

Poopy! I missed the special price.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

All of Jan, Kindle is giving two books free to Prime Members. It has one book from the Paper Magician author, Charlie Homberg.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/firstreads/
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I have suddenly found myself both very pleased (and very in trouble) with the easy one-click buy option for kindles on Amazon, as I've just gotten myself several Middle English books (both in and about) for very cheap. Including one co-written by Tolkien!
A Middle English Reader and Vocabulary

I'm not sure what exactly sparked this sudden desire to immerse myself in Middle English but... there we are. :D
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sigh. I know. Especially if you are reading a series like “The Expanse”, and you just keep buying the next in line *directly from your kindle*.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

But it's gooooooood for you, Inanna. . . . Goooooooooood. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Look, some people smoke, some drink, there are those who need a daily chocolate fix; some people habitually eat out, go to theatre, opera, movies.

My vice is buying books (the vast majority ebooks) at the rate of 1 to 3 a week. That means I spend bw $500 - $600 a year on my passion/weakness/habit/vice/strengthening medication.

I can live with that.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I share your vice. I mostly buy them on sale. And they take up NO space, so I’ll never have to KonMari them.

It’s also fun to read someone raving over a book and go to get a closer look on Amazon and find that I already have it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:Look, some people smoke, some drink, there are those who need a daily chocolate fix; some people habitually eat out, go to theatre, opera, movies.

My vice is buying books (the vast majority ebooks) at the rate of 1 to 3 a week. That means I spend bw $500 - $600 a year on my passion/weakness/habit/vice/strengthening medication.

I can live with that.
Shoot! I never thought of it that way! Thank you, impish.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I rarely spend more than $3 on a Kindle book. Case in point - both Going Postal and Wee Free Men are 1.99 right now.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

The Kindle Books and Resources List

Post by Inanna »

Ooh. I don’t have wee free men. (Rushes off).

I need stuff to read. Am okay with buying - I usually rely on my libraries, so I don’t buy much - so if anyone can recommend a series worth its salt, I’d appreciate it. Preferably world-building, but I will take good writing any day.

The NYTimes books lists have been disappointing.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm on the second Witcher book and enjoying it. It's got complicated political intrigue with magic and monsters, is less graphic than the GoT (and written earlier) and has women in a variety of roles. It doesn't feel very deep, for reasons I can't quite identify yet.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I forget Frelga, in English?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Alatar wrote:I forget Frelga, in English?
Yes, and a pretty good translation. With some translations from Slavic languages, you can just tell that what you are reading is not quite English.

I'd like to find a Russian translation, though. I don't think I have enough Polish to read the original.

Oh! Speaking of, you can get the entire Fire and Sword trilogy by Henryk Sienkiewicz for. 99 on Kindle, or as an imprint of an 1899 edition free on Google books. Or on Project Guttenberg. (I'm grumpy about Amazon charging for ebooks in public domain). It's a classic of Polish literature, war and romance in the vein of Dumas or Scott, and while it's history rather than fantasy, it might as well be for most folks here. Image It might even provide some insight into what happened in 2016. And the movie is also great.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

*scampers to Kindle store*

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:D It appears I already have noth Pratchets on Kindle. I'd forgotten.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

And now have the complete collected works of Henryk Sienkiewicz ... all of them...for 99c !

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I got it too. But for $2.41!!!
What the heck!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ah! Found the 0.99 version, returned the 2.40$
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

W00t! Let me know how you like it.

If you can find the movie, I highly recommend it. It was a collaboration between Poland and Ukraine, the two sides in the war depicted in the movie, and is more balanced than the pro-Polish novel.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

If I come across the movie, chances are I'll have no recollection whatsoever of your advice.
That's the way my memory swings these days. I argue it's like my bookshelves: overfull with no room for any additions.