Picturing America

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Picturing America

Post by Lalaith »

So today I received my artwork from the Picturing America initiative. A while ago, HSLDA (homeschool group) sent out info about a program through the National Endowment for the Humanities. It was open to homeschoolers, as long as we went together in groups of at least two.

So I signed up my friend and myself for it. I'd get an email every so often, letting me know that it was coming and what was expected of me (promise to display the artwork, write an essay afterwards, promise to make it a permanent part of my collection, etc.). But I forgot about it, really.

Till today. My artwork arrived in a huge flat box. I was expecting posters or something. Instead, I received 20 double-sided, heavily-laminated, poster-sized beautiful works of art! And a really cool teacher's book, too!

:banana: I'm excited!

(I don't want to share, though. <pout> But I will.)

http://picturingamerica.neh.gov/
Great art speaks powerfully, inspires fresh thinking, and connects us to our past.

Picturing America, an exciting new initiative from the National Endowment for the Humanities, brings masterpieces of American art into classrooms and libraries nationwide. Through this innovative program, students and citizens will gain a deeper appreciation of our country’s history and character through the study and understanding of its art.

The nation’s artistic heritage—our paintings, sculpture, architecture, fine crafts, and photography—offers unique insights into the character, ideals, and aspirations of our country.
Picturing America, a far-reaching new program from the National Endowment for the Humanities in cooperation with the American Library Association, brings this vital heritage to all Americans.

By bringing high-quality reproductions of notable American art into public and private schools, libraries, and communities, Picturing America gives participants the opportunity to learn about our nation’s history and culture in a fresh and engaging way. The program uses art as a catalyst for the study of America—the cultural, political, and historical threads woven into our nation’s fabric over time.

Collectively, the masterpieces in Picturing America, used in conjunction with the Teachers Resource Book and program Web site, help students experience the humanity of history and enhance the teaching and understanding of America’s past.