Terry Pratchett diagnosed with Alzheimers

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I just finished reading "The Last Continent". Didn't enjoy it that much.... I guess Aussies would enjoy it far more.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

This one is for Pratchett, esp the comment when you move the cursor over the comic:

http://xkcd.com/625/
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here is a long and thoughtful writing by Pratchett on the subject of assisted suicide.

And buried toward the end of it is the wonderful news that Sir Pterry has finished I Shall Wear Midnight (although not the final draft). :woohoo: And! And! Apparently, Going Postal has been completed, too, and will be aired some time in May. :woohoo:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:woohoo: indeed!!

:D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga, have you read the The "Science of Discworld"?
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

I bought I Shall Wear Midnight yesterday, but didn't get round to starting it. Howver I also bought the DVD of Going Postal which I watched and thought the best of the three Sky adaptations. A good cast, especially Charles Dance as the Patrician and David Suchet as Reacher Gilt.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have "I shall wear Midnight" on pre-order... it will get to me by end of Sep, apparently. :P

Sounds like Going Postal is worth a watch.... I'll keep an eye out for it.

Amazon delivered Nanny Ogg's Cookbook to me yesterday. :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

In my hands I hold "I Shall Wear Midnight".
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Niiiiice. Do tell us what you think.

I have the cookbook, too. Keep meaning to make a Strawberry Wobbler. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Me too! Keep meaning to make it, I mean. Sounds simple, and um... interesting. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's all in the presentation. :D

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Don't know whether people have seen this:

Terry Pratchett starts process to take his own life
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Hadn't seen this... thanks V.
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

It's such a sad thing. There's Alzheimer's on my mother's side of the family and you can bet I'm watching the medical news.

My husband and I are huge Pratchett fans--we have everything so far except the third Science of the Discworld, which we may finally get this autumn. Hubby has just finished the start-to-current Discworld novel re-read, he's now in one of the Science books, and after that he'll probably re-read the non-Disc books. We've been lucky enough to have seen him at several SF conventions. Now we're just waiting to see what happens next with him. There are supposedly at least two more books in the works; I do hope they will come to fruition.

I honestly don't know what I would do in his shoes.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Reading "Snuff" right now. On my Kindle.

I wonder.... is the pleasure diminished a bit?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

By it being on Kindle, or by the book itself?

Mine should have shipped. I want Pratchett on my shelf, especially since the American edition actually got the Kidby cover this time.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

by it being on the kindle. The book...is like his recent books. Less on humor, more on social issues.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I got it I got it I got it!!! The cover is gorgeous.

I want it on record that first I made my family a delicious dinner and had the Shabbat meal with them, and also that I have to sit and let my foot heal. After dinner I told them I'd see them Monday, although as it transpired I saw my husband at 6am. :blackeye:

I did like having the physical book, but there were a few times when I wished I could look up a word with a click.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ENJOY. :) Am reading it again, and of course, enjoying it much more. Read quickly, wanna discuss it with you. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I'm done with the first read. :D