Terry Pratchett diagnosed with Alzheimers

Discussion of fine arts and literature.
Aravar

Terry Pratchett diagnosed with Alzheimers

Post by Aravar »

This has been reported in the UK Press. Terry has been diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimers following a 'phantom' stroke earlier in the year. He has issued a statement which indicates that at the very least he expects to complete his next two books.

Daily Telegraph Article
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I was so sad to hear that, Aravar. What a dreadful diagnosis.

He seems determined to make the best of it for as long as possible.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Alzheimer's is always dreadful, early onset of anything always terrible, and early onset of Alzheimer's in the case of someone who works primarily with his creative brain is just -- awful. :(

Like a cellist, for whom dexterity is everything, being struck down by MS (Jacqueline du Pré) or a composer going deaf (Beethoven) or an artist losing his eyesight (several!).

very sad
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:(

I am so sad to hear this. Partly a selfish response - it seems worse somehow because I know and love his books so much.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't think he'd see that as selfish, Imp. I'd bet he'd be delighted to know his books were so important to you.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Rowanberry
Bregalad's Lost Entwife

Post by Rowanberry »

That is really sad, and not only because he's a great writer, but also because he seems to be quite a nice person. :(
See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
~ Lao Tzu
Aravar

Post by Aravar »

One of my great regrets in life is that when I was in my first term at University, in 1988, he was at Dillons for a book signing. Unlike today there was no massive queue- indeed when he came down I was the only person there. I could have chatted but I was too overawed in the presence of a Famous Author.

I also missed a meeting of the RPGsoc a few months later when he came and was chatting to a very small group :( . One of my friends went and came back with the startling information that Terry was thinking of only doing a dozen books. Good job he changed his mind!!!!!
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've only just got started on his books. We are listening to the second one as we commute each day, and now I get a twinge of sadness each time I turn the CD player on, because the one we are listening to, "Making Money" was just published this year, and that means there won't be many more books with this character.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pratchett is the only writer whose books brought me more pleasure than Tolkien. He soars high enough to write that a man is WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE, and to have Death say it. And he is earthy enough to say that the difference between erotic and kinky is "the difference between using the feather and using the chicken." And he's got guts and heart and wisdom and the eye.

But hey, he aten't dead yet! Here's hoping for a good few more from him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Huh, turns out we don't have a Pratchett thread. Except this one.
Wampus wrote:"Men at Arms" and "The Last Continent." Worth reading? Which first? Or should I read something else to lead into one of them?
Worth reading? Of course!

Haven't read Last Continent myself. It's a Rincewind novel, so I'd guess it to be a light, funny, punny read located in a place that's a lot like Australia. Rincewind is a failed wizard who is a great racist (The One Hundred Metres, the Mile, the Marathon -- he'd run them all, usually away from danger) but he ends up saving the world time and again. He was in several previous stories, but the plots aren't really sequential, so you don't risk much.

I love Men at Arms. I got my son hooked on Pratchett by reading him the funnier bits. My present sig quote is from it. It is a second City Watch novel, so it'd help to read Guards! Guards! first to understand who Carrot and Vimes are. But it is not a requirement, and you won't be spoiled for Guards! too badly, I don't think.

This is a pretty good summary without too many spoilers.
"Be a MAN in the City Watch! The City watch needs MEN!"

But what it's got includes Corporal Carrot (technically a dwarf)*, Lance-constable Cuddy (really a dwarf), Lance-constable Detritus (a troll), Lance-constable Angua (a woman ... most of the time) and Corporal Nobbs (disqualified from the human race for shoving).

And they need all the help they can get. Because there's evil in the air and murder afoot and something very nasty in the streets.

It'd help if it could all be sorted out by noon, because that's when Captain Vimes is officially retiring, handing in his badge and getting married.

And since this is Ankh-Morpork, noon promises to be not just high, but stinking.

* Carrot was two metres tall but he was brought up as a dwarf, and then further up as a human.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The Last Continent is very funny if you're familiar with Australia - lots of puns and lateral references which one may not get unless one has some familiarity. Otherwise - not as great as some of the other Rincewind stories.

And - if Kitkat is reading - Men at Arms is fabulous, although it would add so much more if you could get Guards! Guards! first.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Thanks for the advice! I'll get Guards! Guards!, but might read Last Continent first.
Crucifer
Not Studying At All

Post by Crucifer »

Oooh yes. All of the watch books are fantastic. They're my favourite, I think, followed closely by the Rincewind books (anything with Ridcully is good8)).

I'd reccomend that you read all of them! They're all great! (Well, not so much the witch ones, IMHO, but they're good too!)
Why is the duck billed platypus?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Funny, I like the witches best. Closely followed by Watch books. As soli said elsewhere, Night Watch is Pratchett's masterpiece. Rincewind can be hysterical (in both senses) but I don't have the attachment to him the way I do to Granny Weatherwax or Vimes.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The one I've read was a witch book. The point of view throughout was strongly female, so I can see why that might not grab a young man.

I thought it was excellently done, especially for having been written by a man! A wise one, clearly.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Granny Weatherwax is my hero. She is the bomb! And somehow (for me, at least), Prachett has made the witches live in a way that he has not with the other Discworld character.

Not that I don't love Rincewind (he inspired my own wizard, actually), and Ridcully, and Twoflower ( :D Twoflower!) ... and Vimes is fabulous, and Carrot, and Angua, and Dibbler!!! (love Dibbler of many cultures! :D )...

But the witches move in all four dimensions.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Truthfully, I could not get into the Wyrd Sisters; I tried to read it recently, and it just didn't spark for me.

:scratch:

I've never read anything else by him either. Maybe I should try again?

Lali
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Lali, obviously I want to offer a resounding YES, but of course no one is for everyone. But perhaps a Watch or Rincewind book might hit the spot.

And I'm forgetting the Death books! My son says Death is the coolest character. :D

Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm willing to give him another chance; with so many people speaking so highly of him, I keep thinking that he deserves another shot with me.

So which book specifically? :D All opinions welcome. I'll keep a tally and go with the most popular recommendation.

Lali
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, for my money Nightwatch is his classic, but you'd really need to read some of the other Guards books first.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End