It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:59 pm 
bioalchemist

I thought people didn't fall in the Ankh so much as on it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 am 
Reads while walking

"And visitors say: how does such a big city exist? What keeps it going? Since it's got a river you can chew, where does the drinking water come from?" (Men at Arms)

and another subtle moment of river info: "The bolt whiffled past Corporal Nobbs' ear and landed in the river, where it stuck." (Men at Arms again)

(And now I'm walking home while reading the rest of MEN AT ARMS!)

“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:31 am 
Aagragaah

Men at Arms is arguably the funniest book of the series. Although the funniest moment is still Colon trying to get his chances to be precisely a million to one. But Detritus counting in binary was hilarious, too.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’
Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:33 pm 
Aagragaah

Check out the lspace.org home page.

‘No. It ain’t. When people say things are a lot more complicated than that, they means they’re getting worried that they won’t like the truth. People as things, that’s where it starts.’

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:38 pm 
Happy as a clam at high tide (when reading)

The constructed million to one chance is just perfect. I wish all of us could get together & have a drink in his name.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.

Trouble began, and not for the first time, with an apple. (Terry Pratchett)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:48 pm 

The constructed million to one chance is just perfect. I wish all of us could get together & have a drink in his name.

---------------
Please bear with my typos & grammar mistakes. Sent from my iPhone - Palantirs make mistakes too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:44 am 

Just re-reading thief of time. I really wanted a story with lobsang & Susan. Not as the main characters, but a reappearance somewhere that would tell me.... About them.

---------------
GNU Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 pm 
Aagragaah

It's been a year...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:26 am 

:(

---------------

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:53 am 
Aagragaah

‘This is stupid. There’s barely a dozen of you. What can you do? All that stuff about “keeping the peace” – it’s rubbish, lads. Coppers do what they’re told by the men in charge. It’s always like that. What’ll you do when the new captain comes in, eh? And who’re you doing this for? The people? They attacked the other Houses, and what’s the Night Watch ever done to hurt them?’
‘Nothing,’ said Vimes.
'There you are, then.’
'I mean the Watch did nothing, and that’s what hurt them.’

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:56 am 
Living in hope

Wow. :(

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:46 am 
Aagragaah

PSA that Guards! Guards! episodes 1 and 2 are currently playing at BBC Radio 4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jmk0

I am just rereading the book. What Pratchett wrote about the Elucidated Brethren is depressingly applicable right now, IMO.

Quote:
It was amazing, this mystic business. You tell them a lie, and then when you don’t need it anymore you tell them another lie and tell them they’re progressing along the road to wisdom. Then instead of laughing they follow you even more, hoping that at the heart of all the lies they’ll find the truth. And bit by bit they accept the unacceptable. Amazing.